Sci-tech

Facebook Says Bug Unblocked Connections for Over 800,000 Users

Facebook Says Bug Unblocked Connections for Over 800,000 Users”

The bug deleted some associations across Facebook and Messenger, and this caused the block settings for the affected users to be lost.

The company said in a blog post that the bug was active between May 29 and June 5.

It should be noted that in the week or so this bug remained active, a large majority of users had only a single person from their blocked list temporarily unblocked. Of those affected by the glitch, 83% had "only one person they had blocked temporarily unblocked", Ms Egan wrote. The other 17 percent of users had more than one person unblocked, thanks to the bug.

When a user blocks someone on Facebook they can not see things posted by the user, start conversations with the user on Messenger or add as a friend.

"We know that the ability to block someone is important - and we'd like to apologise". It suggests that users check their blocked lists, and reassures them that the issue has now been resolved. For example, their relationship may have changed or they may want to take a break from someone posting content they find annoying. By Facebook's own admission: "There are many reasons why people block another person on Facebook". Blocking also automatically unfriends them if the users were previously friends.

People affected by the bug will get notifications encouraging them to check their blocked lists.

While the social media giant claims that no friendships that were previously ended had been reestablished, the bug did allow posts to be shared with "a wider audience". Personal and sensitive data of users was scraped by the analytics company which was allegedly used for Trump campaign for the USA presidential polls 2016, among others.



Like this

loading...
loading...

Latest


03 July 2018
What's New: Android P Developer Preview 4 (Beta 3)
In Android P beta 3, you can control the application of either a light or dark theme in Android. As for the new Android P beta, it's looking like Android P Beta 2, build PPR1.180610.030.

03 July 2018
Malaysian authorities arrest former premier Najib Razak
In addition, the police have seized cash, handbags and jewelry valued at more than 1 billion ringgit as part of the investigation. The MACC first questioned Najib on May 22 in relation to SRC International Sdn Bhd, which was a former subsidiary of 1MDB.

03 July 2018
Federer faces ID crisis in switch from Nike to Uniqlo
According to Rovell, the RF logo belongs to Nike , but Federer is optimistic that a deal will be worked out so that he can still use it.

03 July 2018
Samsung Galaxy S9 sending users private pictures to people
The mostly likely cause for the problem is a recent update to Samsung Messages, the default texting app for Samsung phones . RCS is supposed to improve texting by adding features like group chat, video and GIF support and file and location sharing.

03 July 2018
LeBron James to join Lakers for $154 million over 4 years
James will join a Lakers team which has missed the playoffs for five consecutive seasons, the longest streak in franchise history. He'll have to play with Lonzo Ball - assuming he doesn't get dealt - which means he'll have to deal with Lavar Ball as well.

03 July 2018
Leaked Trump Draft Bill Would Ditch WTO Trade Rules
The White House told Axios the draft bill was not "actual legislation that the administration was preparing to rollout." . If the goal was to get lower tariffs for US exports, Trump could do that by negotiating trade agreements, he said.

03 July 2018
Russian Federation parties as Spain shootout win keeps World Cup dream alive
The 34-year-old said an emotional goodbye to Barcelona at the end of last season and has joined Japanese side Vissel Kobe. Andres Iniesta confirmed his global retirement immediately after the game and Gerard Pique is set to join him.

03 July 2018
This Week In Golf: Molinari Masterful In Quicken Loans National Win
Tiger Woods shot 66 and tied for fourth at 11 under, his best finish in three months, though he never got closer than four shots. COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Jerry Kelly squandered the lead, then regained it, and will head into the final day of the U.S.

03 July 2018
Citilink resumes operation following reopening of Bali airport
Bali , a popular holiday destination for Australians, has been hit by a series of airport closures caused by volcanic ash. The early morning closure sparked the cancellation of more than 300 flights, affecting almost 27,000 passengers.

03 July 2018
Verstappen used secret tactic to win Austrian Grand Prix
Renault's Nico Hulkenberg was the first retirement, with his engine spewing a cloud of smoke and flames. Having dropped to fourth, Hamilton then had to park his auto on the 64th lap, seven short of the finish.