Economy

Prison staff talk inmate transfers amid virus

Prison staff talk inmate transfers amid virus”

He said on Thursday that the man had "significant pre-existing conditions" and was in critical condition.

BOP officials said Rodriquez had long-term, preexisting medical conditions which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists as risk factors for developing more severe COVID-19 disease.

Taylor was tested at the hospital for COVID-19, but those test results have not yet been returned, according to the release.

The BOP reported lower coronavirus figures for Oakdale, saying seven inmates and three staffers have been diagnosed.

"This virus, if you are claiming it's a hoax or blaming politics on this, it's a humanity issue", Morris said.

More news: Target will provide workers masks, gloves, monitor number of shoppers in stores

Barr said among the 10,000 inmates that are aged 60 and over, 40 percent of them are serving sentences for violent crimes or sex offenses. Of those, 15 inmates were in local hospitals. He had been in custody at FCI Oakdale I since September 2015. Last week, Attorney General William Barr announced he had ordered federal prisons to expand home confinement for older inmates with underlying conditions.

The BOP did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the allegations about food at the prison, infections among prison staff, and possible community spread.

The federal prison system will begin locking inmates down for two weeks today amid rising cases of coronavirus across the country. The BOP said additional measures are being taken to contain the spread of the virus, including further limiting transfers of inmates between facilities, though some movement is expected to continue for medical trips, new arrivals, and other exceptions.

Prisons in the USA are run by state and federal authorities with inmates generally being sent to the respective facilities based on whether they were convicted of violating state or federal laws. The BOP was previously quarantining all newly admitted inmates in their facilities for 14 days.

The move marks the first time the federal prison system has been on total lockdown since a series of riots in 1995.



Like this

loading...
loading...

Latest


04 April 2020
HBO makes programming available for free as part of #StayHomeBoxOffice
However, Greenblatt said the move was not meant to be a part of that marketing push, which will ramp up in the next few weeks. The deal comes ahead of the launch of HBO's new streaming service HBO Max , set to launch next month.

04 April 2020
Facebook Messenger Desktop App Launched for Windows, Mac
Facebook has emphasised all the functionality from Messenger on Android and iPhone has made its way over to the desktop version. Facebook Messenger for Mac and Windows is launched on the Mac App Store and Microsoft Store and it's available worldwide.

04 April 2020
PHL slowdown this year, but recovery likely in 2021 - ADB
Tracking the dominant Indian economy, the ADB estimated growth in South Asia to decelerate to 4.1% in 2020 and then recover to 6%. Several other worldwide organizations have anticipated slower growth for Vietnam this year due to the pandemic's impacts.

04 April 2020
Zoom vulnerabilities could give attackers webcam, microphone access
According to researchers at Bleeping Computer , Zoom allows hackers to steal Microsoft Windows password. Exposed users' data included IP addresses and device model.

03 April 2020
Prince Charles opens new London coronavirus field hospital via videolink
Natalie Grey, the head of nursing at NHS Nightingale, unveiled the plaque formally opening the hospital on the prince's behalf. When fully running, the hospital will have capacity for between 4,000 and 5,000 beds.

03 April 2020
Forecasters Call For Above Active Hurricane Season
The above-average activity could result in these storms making landfall across the eastern US and in the Caribbean. There's also a 58% probability given for a major hurricane to track into the Caribbean, up on the average of 42%.

03 April 2020
Spurs' non-playing staff face 20% wage cut amid coronavirus pandemic
Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe became the most prominent Premier League figure so far to take what the Cherries described as a "significant" pay cut on Wednesday.

03 April 2020
Forgivable loans for small businesses affected by COVID-19 available Friday
The administration said PPP loans will be awarded on a first come first serve basis with funding caps in place. Not only that, but thousands of their employees are either sick or quarantined because of the virus.

03 April 2020
Amazon.com setting 'virtual fest' for canceled SXSW films
Salke says the presentation should include conversations with the makers of the films to create a virtual festival feel. Updates on dates and line-ups will be provided on SXSW's social channels.

03 April 2020
402 new cases of Covid-19 confirmed in Ireland
The median age of the known COVID-19 patients around the country still stands at 48-years-old, with women making up 51% of them. There are now 3,235 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland. 8 patients were reported as having underlying health conditions.