Science

NASA and SpaceX confirm SpaceX’s first ever astronaut launch is a ‘go’

NASA and SpaceX confirm SpaceX’s first ever astronaut launch is a ‘go’”

This will be SpaceX's first-ever crewed launch with NASA astronauts aboard the company's Falcon 9 and Crew Dragon spacecraft.

Astronauts Douglas Hurley and Robert Behnken were selected in 2015 for this special mission. The last time NASA sent a crew up in an entirely new vehicle was in 1981 with the launch of the Space Shuttle.

The special will feature exclusive interviews with former NASA astronaut and three-time spaceflyer Cady Coleman, current NASA astronaut Christina Koch (who recently finished a almost year-long mission in space) and a host of scientists and NASA officials. "It feels kind of like one of your close family members having a great lifetime achievement - and really, that's what it is". In an interview with Aviation Week & Space Technology, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said the return was the part of the mission that he was most anxious about - due to the asymmetry of the Dragon's back shell.

You can watch the NASA TV stream below.

Elon Musk's SpaceX has been launching satellites at a furious clip and testing the Crew Dragon capsule, with both successes and failures along the way. They will then be on-route for a rendezvous with the International Space Station at 11:39 a.m. EDT on Thursday, May 28.

This flight demonstration comes nearly a year and a half after the first demo flight of the Crew Dragon (Demo-1).

Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi
Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi

Other companies are in the mix: Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic took crew to more than 50 miles above the Earth (and so, technically, into orbit) in 2018 and again in 2019 in tests of its rocket-powered VSS Unity spaceplane in a launch from and to the Mojave Air and Space Port in Southern California.

According to SpaceX, the instantaneous launch window will open at 4:33 p.m. EDT, or 20:33 UTC. This means that the rocket must lift off at the exact moment the timer reaches T-zero. Today's LRR review event was similarly hosted by Kathy Lueders, Kirk Shireman, and Norm Knight, but they were joined by Hans Koenigsmann, vice president, Build and Flight Reliability at SpaceX and Mike McAleenan, launch weather officer, 45th Weather Squadron. The launch broadcast commentators are Marie Lewis, Dan Huot, Gary Jordan, Derrol Nail, and Tahira Allen from NASA, and Lauren Lyons, John Insprucker, and Jessie Anderson from SpaceX, with special guest host and former NASA astronaut Leland Melvin. Late on Tuesday, the prediction had improved to a 60% likelihood of acceptable weather on launch day; a few days ago it was at 40%. "The primary concerns are flight through precipitation, as well as the anvil and cumulus cloud rules associated with the afternoon convection".

In orbit, the crew and SpaceX mission control will verify the spacecraft is performing as intended.

The smooth contours and minimalistic interior - coupled with the similarly glossy flight suits donned by the astronauts in-flight - make SpaceX's approach to spaceflight look more like science fiction than reality.

NASA astronauts Doug Hurley (foreground) and Bob Behnken sit in the Crew Dragon capsule, which is equipped with touch-screen controls.

Although the two astronauts appear to be cramped in the above photograph, the Crew Dragon is surprisingly roomy when compared to older spacecraft. The capsule will touch down on Florida's Atlantic Coast, with the two astronauts being recovered and returned to Cape Canaveral.

More news: Audi suspends Formula E driver who let professional simracer race for him



Like this

loading...
loading...

Latest


27 May 2020
Andrea Bocelli Confirms He Tested Positive for COVID-19
The footage remains on Bocelli's YouTube page, and has since racked up more than 40 million hits. In another report from Italian outlet La Stampa , Bocelli said he was diagnosed on March 10.

27 May 2020
IPhone SE Plus, iPhone 12 production delayed
A DigiTimes report from earlier this year claimed that Apple could launch the iPhone SE Plus at the end or 2020 or early 2021. The four new iPhones will include two iPhone 12 handsets, one with a 5.4 inch display and one with a 6.1 inch display.

27 May 2020
‘Remdesivir has become standard for COVID-19 treatment’
We are committed to ensuring that patients can have fast access to promising new treatments for COVID-19. Remdesivir, an antiviral treatment, has been authorised for selected patients in NHS hospitals.

27 May 2020
Three charged in relation to death of Irish teen in Australia
Three suspects, aged 18,20 and 22, were later tracked down, arrested and charged with one count of murder and armed robbery. English, 18, died after falling from a fourth-floor Surfers Paradise balcony in the early hours of Saturday morning.

27 May 2020
Alberta temporarily suspends hydroxychloroquine COVID-19 trial
Trump disembarks Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House Thursday, May 21, 2020, following his trip to MI . However, there are many question marks regarding the use of malaria drugs in the treatment of COVID-19.

27 May 2020
National Hockey League adopts 24-team playoff if season resumes
Bettman says 10 team's cities are still in the running to be the two hubs the league is expecting to return to. Bettman confirmed that the 2019-20 regular season is officially completed.

27 May 2020
Barbershops to open as COVID-19 rules ease in parts of California
Nail salons are still prohibited from reopening, Newsom says, although guidelines for them to reopen are forthcoming. Gavin Newsom said that the state's counties will be allowed to reopen hair salons and barber shops starting Tuesday.

27 May 2020
Gretchen Whitmer responds to elitism claims after husband sparks controversy
The state has had about 55,000 COVID-19 cases and more than 5,000 deaths as of Tuesday afternoon, according to Johns Hopkins University.

27 May 2020
Samsung's Exynos 880 delivers 5G speeds to mid-range phones
You can use night view, portrait, panorama, dynamic photo, slow motion, time-lapse, and other modes while using the camera. The phone will go on sale next month in the company's home market, however, there is no word on the global release.

27 May 2020
China downplays evacuation operation, says border tension 'media speculation'
The latest border tensions between the two Asian nations is being termed as the biggest confrontation since the 1962 war . The two sides agreed to "strategic guidance to their respective militaries" to strengthen communication and build trust.